- Experienced litigator and executive officer
- Official US Olympic Provider to 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- Active board member to companies and non-profits
- Speaker on global business, healthcare and marketing
Scott Rein offers a unique approach to mediating complex commercial cases offering creative but practical solutions to conflicts based on his 18 years of business experience as an executive and his 15 years of negotiating and litigating business disputes as an attorney, arbitrator, and mediator. Rein’s problem solving approach relies equally on a background as outside general counsel to small and large companies and lead trial lawyer in multimillion dollar arbitrations and court cases, as well as managing companies in the US and China and navigating the politics involved in the Olympic Games as the official provider to the US athletes in the 2008 Games. The result is a commitment to a transparent process on dispute resolution that yields business solutions even in seemingly intractable situations.
Mr. Rein started his career as an attorney in California with Gibson Dunn & Crutcher after graduating with honors from Fordham University School of Law.
Subsequently, he started his own law firm which he grew to 25 lawyers and a staff of 60, serving as co-managing partner and head of litigation practice.
Rein’s legal career included advising small and large companies in litigation disputes in State, Federal and Appellate Courts and acting as lead counsel in multimillion-dollar arbitrations and mediations. Rein also served as a volunteer mediator and arbitrator for the LA Superior Court.
- Lead plaintiffs’ counsel on class action suit involving homeowner association governance and environmental issues. After arbitration with 3 former appellate judges, defendants conceded liability resulting in settlement (after mediation) of nearly $10m.
- Lead plaintiffs’ counsel on class action suit involving securities resulting (after mediation) in settlement in excess of $14m.
- Served as nationwide counsel for subsidiary of Fortune 50 company buying $1billion of media monthly. Over 3-year period 100% success rate prosecuting and defending contract claims in excess of $25m.
- Served as outside general counsel for healthcare company from its formation helping to grow its earning to over $50 million annually. Successfully defended multiple claims over 5 years as well as negotiated terms for more than 40 sales of stock to partners.
- Lead Defendant’s counsel in healthcare billing/partnership dispute, replacing initial counsel and reducing tentative judgment (after 2 week arbitration over damages) from $4 million to a settlement of $186,000.
- Lead Defendant’s counsel for developer in a 20+ party $20+million claim in construction litigation reaching a settlement (after 2-week mediation) to a complete defense win with zero payment and release.
- Over 3 year period, mediated disputes quarterly as a volunteer mediator involving tort, contractual, and partnership claims.
In 2002, Mr. Rein left his firm to co-found one of the country’s leading developer and manager of outpatient surgical centers. The surgery centers generated revenues exceeding $100 million annually within 5 years.
Mr. Rein is known as a health care industry expert and speaks regularly at healthcare and investment conferences and to college and graduate schools in both the United States and China; has consulted for major U.S. and Chinese academic hospitals; served on the Boards of Century City Hospital, Maple Counseling Center, the China Healthcare Executives Group, and Shanghai chapter of Entrepreneurs Organization.
From 2010-2019, Mr. Rein lived in China where he served as president of several Chinese consulting companies engaged in advising public and private hospitals on integrating specialty western care into the Chinese market.
- Negotiated partnership agreement with Parkway Health (largest healthcare provider in Asia), collaborating with some of the leading sports medicine surgeons in the U.S. and developed the largest western specialty surgery department in China increasing revenue by 750%.
- Provided sports medicine support to numerous sports leagues operating in China including the NBA and NFL and introduced athletic training to China.
- Collaborated with Renji Hospital to develop and open China’s first international IVF department in an academic public hospital.
- In 2018, Mr. Rein became “Ambassador” to China for the International Institute of Race Medicine and has been collaborating with the China Athletic Association and the China Institute for Sports Science as well as the medical directors/coordinators of the Boston, NYC, Chicago and Twin Cities Marathons on helping to modernize sports medicine for the 2,000 marathons now run annually in China.
Mr. Rein has been married for 28 years and has 2 sons. He relocated to Park City, Utah in early 2020 where he enjoys biking, hiking, and golf.