Mr. Carlile is a commercial litigator with almost forty years of experience in a broad variety of litigation and transactional matters, including banking, business separations, contract drafting and disputes, construction litigation, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation, eminent domain, land use regulation and property disputes, trust and estate litigation.
Mr. Carlile has trial experience in both federal and state courts having tried both jury and bench trials. He has also argued appeals in both federal and state courts. Mr. Carlile was lead counsel representing banking interests in large fraudulent mortgage schemes. He also served as lead litigation counsel for the State of Utah as receiver of one of the largest property and casualty insurance company insolvency proceedings in the country.
Alternative Disputes – Mediator/Arbitrator
Mr. Carlile is a trained mediator and conducts mediations through privately scheduled mediations. Mr. Carlile is a certified mediator through Northwestern University School of Professional Studies, Mediation Skills Training Program since 2017.
He has extensive experience representing clients in mediation and arbitration, in the areas of commercial litigation, trust, and estate disputes, land use, and zoning issues.
Community and Legal Recognitions
Mr. Carlile oversees the Firm’s Provo Office. He and his wife are deeply involved in community affairs serving in a variety of elected and appointed positions.
Mr. Carlile maintains an AV Preeminent (5.0) rating with Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded to attorneys for professional competence and ethics. He has been included on the list of The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 in Commercial Litigation and has been selected for inclusion in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2012-2019) in the category of Business Litigation. Mr. Carlile has also been voted by his peers throughout the state as one of Utah’s “Legal Elite,” as published in Utah Business Magazine (2005, 2007-09, 2013-15).
Professional and Civic Activity
- Member, Mountainland Applied Technology College Board, 2008-2019
- Member, Housing Authority of Provo Board, 2008-present
- Member/Past Chairman, Provo City Planning Commission, 1997-2003
- Member, Provo/Orem Chamber of Commerce Board, 2001-2003
- Chairman, Utah Valley State College Foundation Board, 2001-2003
- Member, Utah County Career Services Council, 1999-2003
- Committee Member, Provo City Project 2000 (General Master Plan Revision Committee)
- Advisory Board, Habitat for Humanity Utah County
- Member/Past President, Provo Rotary International
- Member, Utah County Planning Commission 1990-1995
- Member, Utah County Board of Adjustments 1990-1996